Agony in the Garden is an alternative metal band based in Dayton, OH, fronted by Mack Perry. Agony’s new EP, Where Olympus Dwells, was released May 1.
- Tell us a little bit about how Agony was started. I honestly have no idea. Lol! Just kidding. When I first began it all started as instrumental style music, inspired and influenced by Joe Satriani, John Petrucci and a host of others as well as all the tutorial media I could find. I started writing band style music much later, approximately 9 years after I picked up an axe.
- How, exactly, would you explain the genre of your music? That is a very good question. I’m not exactly sure. My influences span from Andre Segovia to Ronnie James Dio. I firmly believe that bands, music and artist move from genre to genre visa vi the listener depending on what is needed at that exact moment. So I hope to continue this tradition allowing anyone who listens to put Agony where they need to.
- Your new EP – Where Olympus Dwells – was released recently. What inspired the music on this EP? A variety of things. Yes I know this is completely vague and in generalized. The truth is from the mighty to the minuscule I find myself inspired. I carry this very same theme through life. The fuel of passion, to be remembered by any who took the time to listen and in turn become inspired, a bit of a paradox but nothing short of the truth.
- Which song on the Where Olympus Dwells sums up the message of the EP? Where Olympus Dwells, “You can’t kill what won’t bleed let them do what they will.” This song says no matter what you’re going through as long as you wake daylight never dies. It’s never too late.
- Tell us a little bit about the new single, Rain. Rain was written as a trailer-theme for the most excellent book Garden by Jane Yates. She is working to have the book made into a movie where it would be used as well. Rain’s theme symbolizes the power of self, strength and rebirth, literally starting over at any point in your life. Reinventing yourself whenever you should need the Rain.
- I understand you were recently added to the endorsed musicians at WT Foster guitars. Tell us a little about how that came about. Sorry job security! Lol! Literally I woke up one day and found this momentous boon. I am beyond honored to be added to the roster of guitar endorsees. I will do my very best to match this beautifully crafted work of art note for note. Simply put I’ve been blessed.
- What are your future plans musically? I hope to inspire anyone who takes the time to listen. I plan to put together a touring band. Like everyone out there I would love at least one OBBE, out of box band experience. Touring as soon as possible bringing the music to fans via any venue that will have Agony, along with plenty of benefit concerts, making sure all over the world people have a warm place to sleep and food to eat. I truly hope to pay it forward.
- Where can we find you online? www.agonyinthegardenofficial.com is the honeycomb hideout for links to Agony’s social media sites, links to purchase music and merchandise, links to sponsors as well as exciting news and current events.
- Is there anything else you would like to add that we haven’t talked about? I would just like to thank you for this fantastic interview and everyone for taking the time to read it as well as all the friends and fans who have been on this musical journey with Agony. More than words my friends.